Having happily stumbled upon cpd23 ( see link in the Blogroll near bottom to find what it is if you want to ) after it started, I’m still catching up with the assignments. It seemed like a good excuse to learn about things I’d been wanting to learn and no longer wanted to be clueless about.
As for what caught my eye in the 23 things, here’s a run down.
- Have or already have used: LinkedIn, Dropbox and screen capture
- Have heard about but haven’t used: Evernote, Google Calendar & Google Docs and Jing
- Have heard of but am clueless which isn’t a good thing to be for someone that works in a library these days: RSS feeds, Wikis and podcasts (making and following them)
- Never even heard of: Pushnote, LATNetwork, CILIP Communities, Zotero, Mendeley, citeulike, Prezi , data visualisation, Slideshare
- Haven’t chosen to get involved in these and will only consider later for business: Facebook and Twitter
- Librarianship training options of interest will be good to look into because I didn’t finish my MLS
- Volunteering to get experience is something I can recommend because of the three volunteer positions I had to get experience before I applied for an MLS program. Two of them turned into paid positions and I’m still at one of them over twenty years later.
- However it’s way past time to update my résumé just in case, so the section on identifying your strengths, how to capitalise on your interests, how to write something eye catching that meets job specs will be a needed prod.