Having happily stumbled upon cpd23 ( see link in the Blogroll near bottom to find what it is if you want to ) after it started, I’m still catching up with the assignments. It seemed like a good excuse to learn about things I’d been wanting to learn and no longer wanted to be clueless about.
As for what caught my eye in the 23 things, here’s a run down.
- Have or already have used: LinkedIn, Dropbox and screen capture
- Have heard about but haven’t used: Evernote, Google Calendar & Google Docs and Jing
- Have heard of but am clueless which isn’t a good thing to be for someone that works in a library these days: RSS feeds, Wikis and podcasts (making and following them)
- Never even heard of: Pushnote, LATNetwork, CILIP Communities, Zotero, Mendeley, citeulike, Prezi , data visualisation, Slideshare
- Haven’t chosen to get involved in these and will only consider later for business: Facebook and Twitter
- Librarianship training options of interest will be good to look into because I didn’t finish my MLS
- Volunteering to get experience is something I can recommend because of the three volunteer positions I had to get experience before I applied for an MLS program. Two of them turned into paid positions and I’m still at one of them over twenty years later.
- However it’s way past time to update my résumé just in case, so the section on identifying your strengths, how to capitalise on your interests, how to write something eye catching that meets job specs will be a needed prod.
Apologies for the commercial nature of most of these early posts. Since calls to the technical support staff at Earthlink were fruitless and they haven’t gotten back to me as they said they would, I’ll be creating an entirely new website eventually. However, until I make that happen, this blog is my online means of communicating about my calendar and sharing images I took in Rockport, MA and any other new photographs.
Here’s the quotation that is paired with the Fence image in the calendar.
“I would have my book read as I have read my favorite books, …[with] a friendly and agreeable influence stealing like the scent of a flower, or the sight of a new landscape on a traveler.“ R. W. Emerson Oct 9, 1841
“ I am sure of this, that by going much along
a man will get more of a noble courage
in thought and word
than from all the wisdom that is in books.”
R.W. Emerson Oct 21, 1833
How satisfying to have finally begun work on my photo blog because it has been only a figment of my imagination for so long. I have the free online course “23 Things for Professional Development” to thank for the final impetus. I look forward to the frustrations and delight that both projects will bring.
“Keep on beginning and failing.
Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger
until you have accomplished a purpose –
not the one you began with perhaps,
but one you’ll be glad to remember.”
Anne Sullivan quotes American teacher , 1866-1936
found at the website http://en.thinkexist.com
“23 Things for Professional Development” is being offered again during the summer of 2012. For more information go to http://cpd23.blogspot.com/